- This event has passed.
ONLINE – From Mountains to Lakes: Hmong Educational Forum
Saturday, May 15, 2021 | 9:00 am–11:30 am
Designed by Pang Foua Xiong at Community and CoLifestyle LLC
In honor of Hmong American Day (May 14th) and Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, the Minnesota Humanities Center is proud to host this educational forum to broaden your awareness and understanding of Minnesota’s Hmong American community. Scholars and community members will discuss and reflect on Hmong history, diaspora, identity, and intersectionality. In addition, listen to Hmong performance artists and participate in reflective breakout sessions. This forum will deepen and enhance the following learning outcomes:
- Learn about the origin and migration of Hmong people.
- Learn about the population distribution, challenges, and contributions of the Hmong.
- Understanding the intersecting identities and experiences of Hmong Americans today.
- Develop a call to action for all attendees to further the learning outside of the Forum.
This Forum is being offered in partnership with St. Catherine University and Concordia University’s Center for Hmong Studies.
- Lee Pao Xiong, Director of the Center for Hmong Studies at Concordia University
- Dr. Pa Der Vang, Endowed Mission Chair for the Liberal Arts at St. Catherine University
- Gia Vang, Sunrise Anchor, Kare11
K-12 educators will receive 2.5 clock hours.
To ensure that cost is not a barrier, we have a limited number of complimentary spaces available for Minnesota residents. If you would like to receive a complimentary spot, please register with the promo code FEEWAIVER (must be a Minnesota resident).
Stay tuned for details on a new immersive experience coming in July—Learning from Place: Little Mekong & Hmongtown Marketplace.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT HAS CLOSED